Saturday, February 12, 2011

Twice-Baked Potatoes

The twice-baked potatoes were a hit! I based the recipe on some that I saw Giada make. They were simple to make and great warmed-up. I don't normally like reheated potatoes but I liked these today at lunch. The skins get really crispy when they bake!


Before I write down the recipe let me warn you that I rarely measure quantities when I'm cooking so these are all approximations. Change things to your preference.

3 large potatoes
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 slices bacon, chopped in 1/2 in. pieces
1/2 large container of mushrooms, sliced
1/2 stick of butter, melted
1 1/2 cups cheese
salt
pepper
oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash potatoes thoroughly and dry. Rub with oil and salt. Bake for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. After an hour, saute onions and bacon in a small amount of oil. Add mushrooms after five minutes. Cook until mushrooms are tender and bacon crispy.
Cut potatoes in half and scoop out the inside. Leave a small amount around the skin to keep it firm. Stir in butter, salt, and pepper, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Add in mushroom and bacon mixture. Stir well. Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins and top with cheese. Bake until cheese is brown.

I would use cheddar cheese normally to add more color but we didn't have any so I used mozzarella. You could just use your favorite.

The awesome thing is that Micah could eat these if we used the vegan cheese instead of regular cheese. The bacon has small enough amounts of protein that he could have a half slice in his potato and only get 1 gram. So yummy food for him!


On a baby note, Micah started pulling up yesterday. He's such a big boy! And yes, you will be seeing a lot of this adorable face!

No comments:

Post a Comment